Thursday, 28 November 2013

Keep the shutter open

Night time photography - 28th November 2013 Lyle Hill, Greenock, Scotland

Tonight I decided to practice my night time photography. Living next to the Firth of Clyde, and with it being a still night weather-wise, I thought there may be a few opportunities to catch reflections from Gourock in the water.
The reflections were not great, being only from the tungsten road lights. I then decided to try Inverkip Marina, but this was very dark.
The last throw of the dice was Lyle Hill in Greenock, where there is a fantastic high view over Cardwell Bay in Gourock.
Results were mixed, mainly due to the slight wind since I was so high up, which seemed to have led to slight camera shake, even though the shots were taken using timed shutter release, and the camera was on a tripod.
Of the shots I took, the most successful seemed to be this one:

This was using the following settings:
Manual mode 
Aperture: f/11 
Shutter speed 13seconds

Nikon D7100 Nikkor AF-S 18-105mm @ 34mm

Firstly, I used aperture priority which gave a shutter speed of 15 seconds. I felt however that this was slightly too long, and the lights on the pier were slightly over exposed.
I changed the camera to manual mode, and brought the shutter speed down to 13 seconds, which meant exposing 2/3 step down, which seemed to make for a better exposure all round.

As a first attempt at night photography, I'm pleased with this. If it had been less cold and windy, then I may have spent more time on it, and perhaps got a sharper shot. Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment